It's half past 8 in the office but the lights are still on...PCs still running, coffee machines still buzzing... and who's at work?
Most of them??? Take a closer look......
All or most specimens are?????-some male species of the human race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
Look close... again all or most of them are bachelors...and why are they sitting late? Working hard? No way!!!
Let's ask one of them...
Here's what he says... "What's there to do after going home... here we get to surf the Net, AC, Phone, Food, Coffee.. That is why I am working late...most importantly no bossssssss!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the scene in most Research centers and Software companies and other Off-shore offices.
Bachelors "time-passing" during late hours in the office just because they say they've nothing else to do...
Now what are the consequences... read on...
"Working"(for the record only) late hours soon becomes part of the institute or company culture.
With bosses more than eager to provide support to those "working" late in the form of Taxi vouchers, Food vouchers and of course Good feedback,(oh, he's a hard worker... goes home only to change..!!).They aren't helping things too... To hell with bosses who don't understand the difference between "sitting" late and "working" late!!!
Very soon, the boss starts expecting all employees to put in extra working hours.
So, my dear Bachelors, let me tell you, life changes when u get married and start having a family... Office is no longer a priority, Family is... and that's when the problem starts... because you start having commitments at home too!!!!!!.
1. For your boss, the earlier "hardworking" guy suddenly seems to become an "early leaver" even if u leave an hour after regular time... after doing the same amount of work.
2. People leaving on time after doing their tasks for the day are labeled as work-shirkers...
3. Girls who thankfully always (its changing nowadays... though) leave on time are labeled as "not up to it".
All the while, the bachelors pat their own backs and carry on "working" not realizing that they are spoiling the work culture at their own place and never realize that they would have to regret at one point of time.
So what's the moral of the story?? *
* Very clear, LEAVE ON TIME!!!
* Never put in extra time " *unless really needed*
* Don't stay back un-necessarily and spoil your company work culture which will in turn cause inconvenience to you and your colleagues.
There are hundred other things to do in the evening..
* Learn music...
* Learn a foreign language...
* Try a sport... TT, Cricket, Exercise etc etc
* Importantly Get a girl friend or gal friend, take him/her around town...
* And for heaven's sake, Internet cafe rates have dropped to an all-time low (plus, no fire-walls) and try cooking for a change.
* Take a tip from the Smirnoff ad: *"Life's calling, where are you??"*
* Please pass on this message to all those colleagues and please do it before leaving time, don't stay back till midnight to forward this!!!
IT'S A TYPICAL INDIAN MENTALITY THAT WORKING FOR LONG HOURS MEANS VERY HARD WORKING & 100% COMMITMENT ETC. PEOPLE WHO REGULARLY SIT LATE IN THE OFFICE DON'T KNOW HOW TO MANAGE THEIR TIME.
That's the Bottom Line......SIMPLE!!!!!!!!
Narayan Murthy. shortly NRN :)